Thursday, January 20, 2011

Books I'm Reading

In 2011, I wanna read more. I wanna turn off the boob-tube and actually enjoy some silence in my home. So, below is my start for books this year.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I rarely ever read for "fun". I mean, I love learning and growing through new concepts and ideas - like my boss says, "leaders are readers" - but I often neglect some creative reading and opt for the self-help, leadership, and ministry books. So, the beginning of this year with my fancy new iPad I bought "Eat, Pray, Love". I LOVE this book. Reading about Elizabeth Gilbert's search for God, inner peace, and true love is entertaining and humorous. I can at times get annoyed by how self-centered and inconsiderate her life choices seem to be, but she is real and I have really warmed up to her. What I love most about this book is how it has caused me to fall in love with my own heritage - being Italian. I have become obsessed with little factoids about Italy and phrases in Italian that just roll off the tongue. It takes me back to when I went with my Mom and friends to Florence and Rome. Can't wait to go back and Eat, Pray, Love.



The One-Life Solution by Dr. Henry Cloud
Yep, I'm a girl with issues. Dr. Cloud helped me immensely when I went through my first round of counseling for sexual abuse back in 2001 and read his book "Boundaries". Since then, I've always valued the growing process of self evaluation. The One-Life Solution is basically about finding true balance in life - balancing work, relationships, and personal power. I wanna live for those things that I value most. A great quote from this book: "Your time is your life. Period. How you spend it ends up being what your life is." After reading this I spent an entire afternoon journaling about the things that mean most to me, making sure that all of my choices reflected those values.


1 comment:

Alison Wills said...

Yay!! You're back :) I love your new layout, so pretty!!! Can't wait to read about all that is going on in your life!! I just follow so many blogs, it inspires me to write and do things to blog about. Get inspiration from everything you encounter...you have lots of stuff going on and I want to know about it all!!! Love love love you!! xoxoxo