God's timing is always perfect. I've learned this. Being a super planner, I don't often stop to see the beauty in God's spontaneity and interruptions... I'm too busy planning "my life". Sometimes I think I just can't hear His direction or I'm stuck where I'm at because I'm not praying enough or being "godly enough". I've been reminded now, more than ever, that that's not the case. God is bigger than my actions or lack there of, and He always has my best interest at heart, loving and caring for me the same in all circumstances. Yes, I've still got alot to learn. So here's the big news I'd like to share with you all... God's suddenly dropped an incredible opportunity in our laps - to possibly work for a large church in Gilbert, Arizona.
For those of you SoCalers who talked to us at Ian and Vanessa's wedding, you know that working at our current church has been an uphill climb for the past 3 years, especially this last year (I've been on staff for 4 1/2 years, not counting my internship in 2001). By August things got so unhealthy here that we were ready to throw in the towel, calling it quits and telling you all that we were moving in with my mom to escape - even applying at a small church plant in Anaheim Hills, which ended up being a joke. We were making our own plans and not listening to God. After the emotion wore off, we saw that God still had us here for a reason, and that it wasn't time to leave. It wouldn't be fair to the kids, it would be a reaction based on emotion, and God had not closed the door for us to feel released. However, we did cautiously sign our lease for only 6 months because things were so unpredictable. I didn't know if I'd have a job after April.
This might be a really long blog, but I'll try and keep it to the point. For those of you who've been in ministry, you often hear pastors say things like, "I'm feeling called to leave" or "called to go somewhere else", when they quit a job in ministry. I've always thought, I hope that's not just a poor excuse or an overspiritual way of saying, "I'm not happy at my job anymore, so I'm leaving". I mean, everyone else in the world who changes jobs can't make such a "noble" statement.
I never want to take my calling lightly. When I think of a calling, I think about God making an obvious way for someone, not because they've been applying and looking for a way out, but because God made a crystal-clear and out-of-my-hands way to an open door, closing the current one behind. It happened when I was at North Orange, where I ended up at Adventure.
Obvious is where we are at again. Lately I've been feeling unsettled about the next leg of the race with Adventure. My job with the High School Ministry is coming to a close, and I've been offered the Jr. High Pastor position. It's an amazing opportunity and a fresh start, but some of the things I've been asked to take on just don't line up with my personality or giftings. And with all of the beatings and bruises we've experienced here, it's hard to conjure up excitement and energy for the work that is ahead. To put it plainly, Jake and I are just emotionally worn out and carry alot more baggage than the average staff member at Adventure - There are only about 3 of us left who were originally here from 4 years ago due to the recent trauma.
My boss Scott has picked up on it --- words I've said out loud, anxious ventings, tears. He asked me point blank about how I was feeling last week. I really love that he notices things like this because it gets me to think. I told him I was just working through some pain and that I'm here. He wanted to know if I was 100% "in", and at the time I couldn't say that I was. He told me he needed to know pretty quickly, so I told him we'd pray.
Exactly that night, I received a call from a pastor (Jim Richardson) from Central Christian Church of the East Valley in Arizona. He had heard about me from Jon Moton (the guy that married Jake and I, and my former partner in ministry at Adventure) and wanted to talk with me about the possibility of coming there to be their High School Pastor for their new campus in Gilbert - almost like a church plant. What crazy timing this call came in! And get this, when he described the job, it completely matched my giftings and passions; the job was totally me. And he was specifically pursuing me for this job.
Hmmm... let's see...
1.) I'm worn out at my current church.
2.) Our lease is up June 30th.
3.) My job will turn into a new one in the next month, so it's like taking on a new position somewhere.
4.) My small group of girls I've been mentoring for the past 4 years are graduating and going off to college.
5.) Jake's been having the worst time trying to get a better job up here for over a year and Central's possibly interested in hiring him as a youth worship leader in the future.
6.) Jim called me the exact same day I had that convo with Scott.
We decided to be open to the possibility of something new. So, this whole week I've been on phone interviews with the people at Central. Wanna hear something random? Central was where I originally wanted to do my internship for college but they were full, so I went to Adventure. Weird!
All of the conversations this week have been great. I think I've racked up about 6 hours of talk time. They asked for my resume and other philosophy of ministry documents and a recording of my preaching, and today I found out that they'd like to fly Jake and I out next weekend for formal interviews. This could be it for us. A new page in our life's story. We're very open and interested. So I guess I just want to keep you all in the loop, and ask you for prayer. So far, it sounds like we're being called to be a part of this church. So far, no red flags or even hesitations. We'll see when we actually go there and feel it out.
I am very excited, but also very sad as this comes together. This would be another "goodbye" for us. We have THE MOST incredible friends up here. I love so many of the people here and I would definitely call them family. Leaving them is a looming reality and I hate that part of being in ministry. You never know where God's going to take you or who you'll have to leave behind. The good news for you SoCal friends and family is that we'll be closer to you than before. I googled directions from the church to my mom's house and it's like a 5 hour 45 minute drive. My dad even lives in Phoenix. For those of you here in NorCal, I am so extremely sorry and sad. We haven't said yes to the job, but I want to make sure that you know we are thinking of you in this, we would hate to leave you, and we love you tremendously.
Please keep these plans on the down-low as we are not wanting the students or staff to hear about this prematurely. We want to be cautious and to not be influenced by anyone but God.
That's kinda it in a nutshell, for now. We'll keep you posted as things unfold. Love and hugs. Goodnight.
5 comments:
Yeah, 2 hours and 15 minutes closer! :) We'll pray it works out for you, or that God's will works out for you!! We love you guys!!
-B&T&?
Thats fantastic...I'm sure it will all work out wonderfully! I'm very happy for you both and although it would stink to have you move a state away, email, blogs and cell phones will continue to keep us close! Love you girl, keep us updated with how it all works out!
bri...i'm so thrilled that God is presenting opportunities and that you're being affirmed in the direction He's taking you. i will be praying, my little stair partner, as you and jake continue to pursue His plan for your lives. i've always wanted to visit arizona! :-) love ya!
Bri~I love you!!
God always gives us the peace of understanding and he is really working with you right now!!
You are amazing. That is my word for you!AMAZING :)
ok..I was the anonymous one...oops! Forgot to put my name :)
Post a Comment