Thursday, May 27, 2010

Friends Who Feel Like Home

So many of my teen years and my early 20's I spent worrying about whether people liked me. It was a long, painful struggle that I often felt tortured over - obsessing over whether I was "ok" with friends and loved by others. Ugh, approval addiction.

Now, into my adult life, I feel more at peace with myself. I don't know if it's that I love myself better or that I've learned to let things go. Yay for growing up and growing into my own skin!

Luckily, along with growing up, I have found a treasure in friends who make me feel like home. These are people in life whose hearts I've connected almost instantly with. They are people I've known for years, and they're also people I've met recently along life's path. They may live a million miles away, or just down the street. What all of these friends share in common, they are like family. Nothing stops. Nothing changes. They are like home every time I see them.

I'm blessed that I get to visit a couple of friends just like this tomorrow. Jake and I are off to Austin, Texas for the Memorial Weekend to see our sweet friends Jon and Cassandra Moton. Today I'm blogging to celebrate friends like them. Thank you sweet friends for loving me for me and for always making me feel like home.

6 comments:

Landon said...

Woo-hoo! Good post. We probably aren't friends like that - but I still love being friends on whatever level we are on. You & Beebs are awesome - love you both.

Nancy (mom) said...

As your mom, this is what I have been trying to tell you for years. But as your mom, I am so happy to read that you are in this place with your self and friends that make you feel like home. Distance should never define friendships. Your heart, love and bond will always endure with true friends. I love you.

Shari Johns said...

It took me into my 50's before I figured this out. Yay for you getting it so early!

Chantel said...

seriously! this makes me want to be with you......sigh!

Carrie said...

Bri-B, you just brought tears to my eyes. Good tears though. It has been a pleasure to see you grow. Not only in this, but in your relationship with Yahweh (which I am sure helped ;) ), and everything else. I miss you and love you Bri! ...no matter how far we live from each other! :)

Becky said...

I agree with Chantel....makes me want some Bri time!! :) Love you too twinner! :)