Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pregnant Pastor


Ever heard of such a thing? Me either. It's weird and I feel left with all kinds of unknowns. Before, I knew what I was doing. But pregnant? I don't know how to do this and my job. None of the guys I work with can relate and so I'm kinda left to figure this one out on my own. Will it still be "cool" to preach to teens when I have a giant belly? How unfun will it be to take 200+ students to Six Flags in October when pregnant ladies can't even ride rides? How will I feel missing my first Winter Camp in over 10 years because I'll be on maternity leave? How will I raise a kid, have time for Jake, and lead a youth group 7 days a week? I'm finding out these answers and more as each day goes by for these 9 months. I don't have one woman role model I've seen be pregnant and lead a ministry to watch. I've seen pastors' wives, but not pregnant pastors. Here's to trailblazing! For now I'd love to share with you a funny pregnant pastor moment...

So Saturday night I ate something bad and was suffering the next day (major indigestion). I wasn't sure I was going to make it. But I was there and I had to preach. I got up on stage and brought up a trash can with me. I told the teens,

"Guess what guys? It's Barf Sunday! Baby Johns isn't happy with what I ate last night and let's hope I don't throw up mid-sermon! This is some of the stuff you get to experience with me because you've got a pregnant pastor."

They were thrilled and really hoping I'd lose it. Thank God I didn't. It was hilarious and a really funny part of this journey. My pregnant life is on stage for all to see - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'll make sure to continue to blog about it when it comes up.

Another woman in ministry whom I look up to sent me this sweet message the other day,

"I am THRILLED you get to do both right now (youth ministry and be a mom). God will lead you...just hold everything with an open palm. He knows what we can handle and will "manage" you/ministry/motherhood for you!" - Megan Hutchinson

Thank you Megan! You are a great encourager and I needed to hear that.





1 comment:

Alison Wills said...

Figuring it all out is like juggling, you don't want to drop anything and it is so scary. But, you will be great! You are a fabulous pastor, mentor, friend and WOMAN!! You have been placed in a position to lead and Baby Johns is only going to make you stronger and better at everything you do :)

I love you friend and I love this journey for you...you are amazing!